Poole Harbour Canoe Club is a Charitable Incorporated Organisation - Registration # 1152531
Poole Harbour Canoe Club was founded in 1956/57 by a few friends who shared a love of paddling. The first premises using an old chicken shed were erected in 1962. During the 80's the Club hut was to be found opposite "Fisherman's Dock" on Poole Quay, now replaced by the Marina. Since 1990 PHCC has been located at Lake Pier adjacent to the Marine Base at Hamworthy.
Syd Wheeler, one of our much missed founding members, was still an active member at the age of 76. He is fondly remembered for his indomitable spirit and thought nothing of surfing the wake of ferries coming into Poole. Syd organised the first slalom competitions on the River Stour at Longham using canvas canoes and also led the way for surf canoeing amongst club members. He was also a keen sea kayaker and many of the current members enjoy the same coastal scenery. A stone seat overlooking his favourite surf spot in Kimmeridge Bay was erected by the Club to his memory.
Today PHCC has over 400 members who participate in most disciplines of paddle sport.
These newspaper articles and photos record the club from 1957 to 1969. They start with the initial adverts in the Echo promoting the formation of a Poole canoe club to rival the recently formed Wareham club.
Mr Eric Marsh who collected the material was the man behind the formation of the club and its first secretary. The public meeting in June 1957 to formally set up the club was attended by 27 people and resulted in a committee made up of
General secretary, Eric A. Marsh
Meets secretary, Syd G. Wheeler
Treasurer, P. Marples
Committee, David Astin, R. Brooke, Ron.W. Hill,
Miss Prim Upton, Mrs Mary Ford Other names mentioned in the articles are John Brown, Mike Tapping, Freddie Ford, Angela Kelly, Geoff Jackson, Monty Clark, Walter Moc, G.Lloyd, P.Turney, J.D.Astin and J.Barfoot.
Full Page version
More recent ‘History’ has seen the club grow in popularity and the variety of activities that members are engaged in. There’s still the sea kayaking, the racing, the surfing and the slalom - but sections not mentioned too much from back in the “60’s” was the open canoeing - and certainly not the ‘paddle-boarding’. Also not much mention of ‘juniors’ !
The club premises have changed a little - some may remember the ‘large garden shed’ that stood where the BA’s and spraydecks are now stored in the new building along with the containers holding the boats (and the interview on ‘Solent Radio’) whilst the new boathouse was being built. For a fuller series of images of the new boathouse being built check out the ‘Boathouse Build’ page from more recent times.
|Open Days - LP|
|Club News Cuttings|
|Audio from H2O show - Solent Radio|
|'Sunday Politics' Show|
|Members Password Page|
|Boathouse Duty Rota|
|Coach+Leaders Duty Rota|
|Room Booking Enquiry|
|General - Jnr|
|Kayak Polo News & Results|
|Slalom News & Results|
|Under 10 & Under 12|
|News & Results|
|Events & Info|
|Intro to PHCC|
|What Could I Do ?|
|Join ~ Step-by-Step|
|New Members Session|
|Riverside Development Rep|
|Boat House Development|
|PHCC - Challenges|
|Kayak Polo ~ Competitions|
|Monthly Photo Competition|
|Annual Photo Contest|
|Lottery & Ideas|